Kinds of hosting solutions
A hosting service concerns depositing and/or sharing given content on a web server handled by a web hosting provider. There are various classes of hosting services used for different aims, so let's have a gaze at these. Thus, you can determine what you want, on the basis of whether you wish to set up a web portal, mailbox accounts, or to share files with friends and colleagues.
- File hosting: a service made available by various firms, which enables you to share large files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived documents, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its sole designation is to share files, since it does not support website uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to view an inventory of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to see .html or .php web files in your web browser. Free-of-cost file hosting solutions are frequently supported by showing ads next to the download links, while a timer compels you to wait for a certain amount of time to see them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you buy a paid file hosting account, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no limit as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
Now, with the help of the cPanel hosting corporations, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modern "cloud hosting". This is a completely inaccurate explanation of the real definition of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting environment would divide the load between autonomous sets of hosting servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving miscellaneous site hosting services (electronic mail, data storage, stats, DNS, databases, webspace hosting Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a type of a disk space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: comparable with file hosting; given vendors provide a hosting service for pictures only. This hosting brand is suitable if you desire to share a great quantity of images with mates or partners since the solution is generally free. You will obtain a randomly generated link for each picture or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be utilized for websites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution committed to administering your e-mail box accounts. Some suppliers offer web space hosting solutions for websites, but do not offer an email service. If you would like to open an e-mail address with your domain name but do not desire to keep a site, then the email hosting solution is what you need. You can create email address accounts and manage them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this solution permits you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to some video clip, or you can embed the video file in your site that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of availing of this method in lieu of uploading the video file in a hosting account is that the video produces a given amount of central processing unit load, so with a bunch of videos and a few hundred site viewers, you may have difficulty with your webspace hosting quotas. Embedding the video clip will enable you to use as many videos as you wish without worrying about system supplies.
- Web page hosting: this is the solution that you need if you want to keep a site. To a certain extent, it embodies all of the aforementioned hosting forms since, along with your web pages, you can also host pics and files, you can have databases and email mailbox accounts, upload video clips, and so on. At Malta Host, for example, you can take a look at web hosting and dedicated hosting plans that allow you to get all of the aforesaid solutions in one single place. There may be restrictions depending on the kind of hosting solution that you've selected - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your webspace hosting account may be better or worse compared with the conventional e-mail/file/video/image hosting accounts that are devised for particular web content exclusively.